Robert B. Wagstaff
Robert Wagstaff joined McMahon Surovik Suttle in October of 2010 as a shareholder when his firm, Wagstaff & Watson, P.C., merged with the McMahon firm. Robert helps lead the litigation section and his practice is focused on the resolution of disputes through trial. Robert believes his client’s best chance to resolve the case prior to trial is to be fully prepared to go forward and prevail at trial. Wagstaff’s practice has always centered on the defense of doctors and other professionals, but includes complex commercial litigation in both state and federal courts, product liability defense and oil and gas matters. He handles trial matters throughout Texas and the surrounding states.
Wagstaff is a 1986 graduate of Texas A&M University and a 1989 graduate of the Texas Tech University School of Law. In 1995, he became board certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. In 2001, he was certified as a civil trial advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He has been a long time member and served as a director of the Texas Association of Defense Counsel. Wagstaff is a life fellow in the Texas Bar Foundation and a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers.
Wagstaff is married to Elizabeth, a lawyer and classmate. They have three children – Rachel, Caroline and John Miles. Robert enjoys his spare time coaching little league and soccer, and ranching. He occasionally squeezes in time for golf, hunting and fly fishing.
Current Employment Position(s):
Areas of Practice:
- Professional Malpractice Defense
- Insurance Defense
- Products Liability
- Litigation and Appeals
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Court & Bar Admissions:
- 1989, Texas
- 1990, United States Federal District Courts, all Districts of Texas
- 1996, United States Federal Appellate Courts, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Texas A&M University – B.B.A. -1986
- Texas Tech University School of Law – J.D. – 1989
- Board Certified – Personal Injury Trial Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1995) Civil Trial Advocate – National Board of Trial Advocacy (2001)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Member of the State Bar of Texas, Director – Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Defense Research Institute, Life Fellow – State Bar Foundation, Abilene Bar Association
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers: 2005 – 2006, 2014, 2015, 2016
Past Employment Positions:
- Wagstaff & Watson, P.C., Abilene, Texas Shareholder 1996-2010 f/k/a Batjer & Wagstaff, P.C.
- Decker, Jones, McMackin, McClane, Hall & Bates, P.C., Fort Worth, Texas, Associate 1989-1994, Shareholder 1995
Year Joined Organization: